Re: Transponder Aerial Location

Subject: Re: Transponder Aerial Location
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:52:00

>Having reached the stage of planning cable routes which separate as much
>as possible power from feeders, can I mount the transponder aerial/antenna
>in an outer underseat stowage?  Either totally within the airframe or
>protruding.

Brian,
As Nigel suggests, most of us mounted the Txpdr antenna in the rear
fuselage and it does work well enough. The alternative antenna is the Bob
Archer dipole. Needs no ground plane and doesn't stick out of the bottom of
the airplane. We got fed up with knocking our standard 1/4 whip off on the
trailer so mounted an Archer dipole a couple of feet behind the baggage bay
bulkhead and as near the side as possible. Worked fine.
Graham