Transponder Aerial Location

Subject: Transponder Aerial Location
From: Brian Tarmar <brian.tarmar@post.serco.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:22:26
Hello Everyone

Another lurker breaking cover!

I am attempting to complete Classic 055 - A kit started by John Grant of Norwich
in '94 and bought by me in July 2000, when John began suffering from the dreaded
epoxy allergy.  055 was an early conversion to trike, with an approved (the
second I believe) lowering to the rear of the central tunnel.  I hope to fit
a WAM 120 if weight can be kept within reasonable bounds.

Having reached the stage of planning cable routes which separate as much as
possible
power from feeders, can I mount the transponder aerial/antenna in an outer
underseat stowage?  Either totally within the airframe or protruding.

I believe this position offers the shortest cable run (in line with design
requirements)
and keeps costs down if the more expensive RG400 co-axial is to be used.
I hear tales of "frying the family jewels" with RF (perhaps the aerial should
go under the passenger seat!) and blanking by the engine when the interrogating
station is ahead.  Your thoughts please.

Brian Tarmar