Re: LEDs

Subject: Re: LEDs
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:24:12
Depends what alternator you have.
In an automotive type alternator the "charge" lamp doubles as a resistor to
enable excitation current to be supplied to the field windings prior to the
alternator running fast enough to be self exciting.
To get enough current flowing for this purpose means that the lamp needs to
be about 2w (for 12v systems).

For the Rotax alternator with permanent magnet field, none of this is
needed. So a LED will do without any paralleling resistor. Series resistor
may be needed however, typically 600 ohms or thereabouts depending on
voltage.

DuncanMcFadyean