LEDs

Subject: LEDs
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:08:50
Message text written by INTERNET:TroyMaynor@aol.com
>I have searched but can't find it in the archive. Someone mentioned the
12v
3w lamp that is the alternator warning lamp being changed to an LED and
that
you had to add a resistor, I think, to make the regulator function
correctly.
Does anyone know what will work for sure on this? I have some nice LEDs
that
are 12 volt rated that I want to use. In fact I want to make a series of 5
or
6 warning LEDs on a little panel to operate at the correct intensity with a

12 volt input to each. I am planning to use one for oil press./master on;
one
for alternator; one for door ajar; one for engine monitor; and starter
engaged. The alternator one is the one I was concerned about. Is this no
big
deal to do? I am electronically challenged. Please help if you can.<

I remember the discussion as well. As far as I can remember I think the
regulator needs a significant load to indicate properly. To this end if you
wish to use LED's, as well as the usual current limiting resistor in
series, I suggest you put another load in parallel with the resistor LED
combination. This could be a conventional bulb behind the panel but for
better reliability a high wattage resistor would be better. I would try a
100ohm 2watt resistor. If you are buying LED's without the series resistor
already included wire in a resistor which will give the current specified
by the LED ( eg. for a 25mA LED a 470ohm resistor will be fine).

Nigel Charles