Re: Flying (with an Airstart!)

Subject: Re: Flying (with an Airstart!)
From: Michael Parkin <Mikenjulie.Parkin@btopenworld.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:10:37
Ira,

Generally, when a prop is driven out of feather, it passes through a blade
position that is more condusive to starting prop/engine rotation.  Mainly
because as there is no engine rotation, the relative airflow to the prop is
---From straight ahead.  However, a stationary fixed pitch prop when presented
with this airflow from straight ahead is effectively stalled - a just a flat
plate.  That is why the fixed prop is so draggy.

CS props generally go from fine pitch through coarse pitch to the feather
position.

regards,

MP