Re: slow blow fuse

Subject: Re: slow blow fuse
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:08:02
The fuse (and breaker) company web sites have the charts that show the
trip time vs. amps.  Even fast-blow doesn't pop at just above rated
current before next Tuesday.  Slow-blows work more like breakers.  Go
to an auto parts store and there are many higher-amp fuses available,
in a variety of packages.  Some say "fusible link replacement."
Although, I don't like the idea of a blade connection for supplying a
main bus, and the ring-connector types may not be available in 20-30A.
Whether fast-slow who knows (could again look it up), but work in an
automobile application for feeding busses.

Which "main supply" are you referring to as needing 50A?  Feed to the
bus, or from alternator to that fuse?  The manual's diagram shows 30A
slow-blow from the alt, then 25A whatever to the bus, logically
smaller.  A 30A fast-blow vs. max the alternator can do will probably
work fine too, though fast-blow not needed there.  Higher than 30A
---From the alt, when downstream fuses will pop anyway, is only
increasing the chances of frying the alternator regulator, if fault is
limited to that circuit.  I thus used a 30A pullable circuit breaker,
so it can be popped on fault in only the alt circuit. Otherwise, it's
master off, nothing on the bus works, and alt regulator could still
smoke.

BTW, anybody read about the new Diamond Star DA-40?  IFR-approved, no
vacuum.  Required aux power for key stuff then is 28 AA pink-bunny
cells from the supermarket.  FAA-approved.

Regards,
Fred F.