Re: slow blow fuse

Subject: Re: slow blow fuse
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:48:39
Fusible wire links are OK on the lower rated stuff... protecting 20AWG wire
with 24AWG etc but I wouldn't use it on the main feed. The heat generated while

blowing a big fat wire would probably take out the insulation.

I tried blowing links made out of 24, 22 and 20AWG. The 24 and 22 AWG burnouts

were well contained by the fiberglass sleeve I am using while the 20AWG shows
signs of browning on the sleeve. Based on this I chose not to use fusible wire

links to protect any wire size larger than 18 AWG.

The other thing is not to expect these fusible links to go quickly, they are
very slow fuses so are really protecting against dead shorts.

Tony