GPS antenna

Subject: GPS antenna
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:57:39
Hi Curtis,

Welcome to the fun world of Europa builders, I wish you much success.

FWIW, I can give you my experience with a Garmin 430 panel mount GPS/NAV/COM.
The
fixed "tear drop bubble" type antenna (~ 4 in. long by ~3 in. wide-this is
estimate since mine is at the airport.)  which is supplied for this unit is
primarily
designed to be installed on the top outside of a
metal aircraft. I installed mine inside the rear upper fuselage with a custom
made
fiberglass flanged channel bracket floxed onto the surface just behind the
baggage bay bulkhead. The antenna is supplied with its own precision sized
rectangular
ground plane which is basically the same size as
the antenna. This antenna works well - when I first powered the installation up
in my garage with a lot of house structure above the antenna, I was surprised
to see it acquire the required number of satellites and show me my position at
125 Misty Cove Lane - cool ! Flight performance of the GPS
is excellent.

Regret that I cannot help on your items 2 & 3.

Cheers, John
N262WF, A099, mono XS, 912S

Curtis Jaussi wrote:

> I have several questions on GPS antennas for panel mount.
> 1.  The Garmin instructions refer to a 15" radius ground plane.  How is this
being done in Europa and is it necessary?

> 2. I have seen some indications of splitting and sharing antenna with two nav
radios.  Can this be done with comm radios and can the GPS antenna be shared
with tow GPS/

> 3. If two GPS antennas are needed how close can may they be to each other
> without
interference problems.

> Hope you avionics people out ther can hel.
>
> I am a new builder ( since Dec.) but have been watching this forum since 1997
and feel almost like family.  Many thanks to all who contribute.  This is the
first time I have not been able to find an answer in the archives.  I doubt i
could build this aircraft successfully with out the forum.