Runway length

Subject: Runway length
From: Paul Atkinson <Paul.Atkinson321@btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:03:59
I am just wondering what you 914 powered flyers consider to be an adequate
minimum runway length. The figure I have generally been quoted is 450 meters
or 1500ft. I get the impression that this is a generic figure that will do
for any Europa regardless of powerplant.
Having read several accounts of 914 powered Europas with VP props leaping
into the air like homesick angels, I wonder if any of you are happy
operating from shorter strips, and how much benefit there is from the extra
power and VP prop over say a 912 with fixed pitch. For comparison mine is a
monowheel classic which will have a Wilksch WAM120 and an MT prop, and I
will be operating from elevations of 500' or less, most of the time.
Any comments gratefully received.

Paul