Re: Bundling of coax cables

Subject: Re: Bundling of coax cables
From: Dave Simpson <davesimpson@londonweb.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:31:21
Tony,

You clearly know what you're talking about and I can't fault your logic and
practical advice. I also suspect that most builders are concerned about the
right problem ie. radiated RF noise.  However there is another problem which
you've left out, possibly to keep things simple, that is impedance.

Some consumers draw current interrupted at high frequencies (commutating DC
motors, transponders, switches, electronic ignition systems) and these
generate significant levels of RF in their supplies' return lines.  The
RESISTANCE of the line back to ground may be low, but the IMPEDANCE of only
a few microhenries at umpteen MHz, becomes large - and it's easy to have
lots of microhenries in even a short line in the plane.  This gives rise to
RF noise on the consumer's  local ground, although the grounded point at the
busbar is quiet. When the consumer's local ground is also used as a
reference ground for, say, a microphone input, then this noise is introduced
on to the signal (we call this series mode noise).  On most good quality
avionics, the designer will connect two types of capacitor across the supply
at the consumer's power input - one large electrolytic, whose size is
limited only by the surge current capabilities of the supply's fuse, and a
second, say 0.1 microfarad ceramic or similar, with good RF performance.
(this is because large electrolytic capacitors usually possess quite high
self inductances making them less effective for RF smoothing for the same
reasons I've tried to explain above).  This normally does the trick. However
all avionics are not good quality and in some cases (eg. the old Narco
handhelds I know for certain), don't have this feature.  There may be other
handhelds suffering from the same deficiency since they are all short of
space inside.

The solution is fortunately quite simple - connect a 50 microfarad capacitor
the right way round, in parallel with a 0.1 microfarad capacitor, to the
consumer's supply, right at its power terminals.

I had a similar interference problem on a two stroke Rotax powered
microlight some years ago - couldn't receive anything without the squelch
turned down, then it was unintelligible.  I tried all sorts, including
antenna re-wiring and re-siting but to no avail.  In the end I screened the
HT leads, screen grounded at BOTH ends, and enclosed the ignition coils in a
die cast box electrically bonded to the crankcase.  That got the &$%&
*.
After that there was no difference between the squelch setting engine off
and full chat.

And there's another real problem with RF energy - it radiates from leads
coming out of the box, not just the box itself.  I have a wonderful Lowrance
Airmap hand held GPS; wonderful that is except for it radiating interference
---From the antenna lead and antenna as well as the unit.  I could screen the
lead of course, but I can't screen the antenna.

Isn't life a bitch sometimes.

Dave Simpson