RE: Off Topic: The "Evils" of homebuilding

Subject: RE: Off Topic: The "Evils" of homebuilding
From: Paul Sweeting <Paul.Sweeting@ntl.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:58:40
I can certainly say that flying a composite glider (Grob 103A Twin Astir II
Acro - Viking TX.1 http://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/~avsearch/g103twinastir2.htm
) less than two miles from Cardiff Wales Airport I was reliably informed by
ATC only produces very intermittent, very hard to trace returns, dependent
on the gliders profile to the radar mast.
I guess you could say we were flying the RAF's only stealth aircraft...

We had several proximity complaints from 747 pilots, especially as we could
not be observed on their traffic avoidance sytems. The finals to Cardiff
Wales Airport lops the corner off the matz I used to be operating within
(Usually cleared strictly to 2000ft only within the strict matz) with
individual authorisation being sought to leave this area.
So with the wind and the launch point in the correct direction I had a good
1200 ft cable launch (solo) popping up from nowhere up alongside a 747 on
finals, I could certainly just make out the whites of the co pilots eyes
staring at me, I quickly waggled the wings and banked hard right, not
without giving the observing PAX a friendly wave whilst executing :-)

cheers

Paul.

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal
attention
of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.  If you are not the intended
addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any attachments is
unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the message.  Any
representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to contract.

ntl Group Limited