EFIS/One

Subject: EFIS/One
From: Ira Rampil <rampil@anesthes.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:16:04
Hi All,

I too have been planning an EFIS/One for my XS Trigear.  The left instrument
sub-panel needs to be extended down about 1.25" (more than you might think
due to the slope of the glareshield).  I also plan a 2.25" A/S and Altimeter
on that side for backup.  If I can find one, I'd like to add a 2.25" TC for
IFR backup (No vacuum planned).

I chose the EFIS/One after initially being entranced by the Dynon device.  I
had taken a close look at both at Oshkosh.  Initially I chose the Dynon plus
a UPS MX-20 moving map combo because of price and because I did not favor
the scanned maps of the EFIS/One.  However, it seems the Dynon device is
inexpensive because it uses inexpensive sensors and the shipping schedule
keeps slipping.  On the other hand Greg at Blue Mountain has kept raising
the ante.  The EFIS/One now has a three axis autopilot and flight planning
among others, and it is shipping.  As of last month, however, no one with a
Rotax 900 series had tried it.  Also, sadly, neither of the well known
avionics dealers listed in the Blue Mountain web site as dealers with demo
equipment has received their demo equipment.  Sadly, I say because I was
planning a side trip to Eastern last week while I was working at Flight
Crafters in Tampa.  As an aside, Russell and I went to SkyCraft in Orlando
instead and it is fair to say that it would have taken a strong winch to
pull us out in less than the 3 hours we spent there. (Example: I bought 400'
of 20 AWG A/C wire for less than $20.00 and RG400 was less than $1.00/ft).

All that said, I really look forward to a report from Jim and Heather about
their visit to Greg's home base. If you look at the 1.90 revision software,
please check the screen update rate, i.e., is the AI and HSI smooth?  Is the
HIS full featured?  Are any problems foreseen in sensing the Rotax (I have
not found any show stoppers in reading the install manual)?

Regards,

Ira Rampil, A224
(Now on gear! and wings rigged! after about 21 days building at
FlightCrafters)