Re: EFIS/One

Subject: Re: EFIS/One
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 14:37:53
Shaum Simkins wrote:

> However, I'm scared that he is selling the box for about half the money he
> should
to ensure that
> Blue Mountain will be around to support EFIS-1 when it breaks.  Or when he
> gets
sued by the
> relatives of a pilot whose plane hits a mountain when his EFIS-1 goes dark in
IMC.

I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.  They talk about IFR use,
but I wonder when the attorneys will convince Blue Mountain they need
liability waivers from buyers stating the system will not be used in
IMC.  There's big liability exposure without the thing going dark, as
all you need is readability which is less than optimum and display
updates just a little slow.  Especially in the many twitchy (just
about stable enough for IFR) homebuilts out there.  I find hard IFR
with real gyro instruments fairly easy, but MS Flight Simulator drives
me nuts.

Which would then raise a question as to IFR legality under FAA rules.
Homebuilts require no "IFR certification" per se, but what if you
signed such a waiver but still did so?  If this thing were to fail in
IMC, causing mere ATC emergency handling, the FAA could charge
reckless operation if a VFR-only waiver were signed.

Regards,
Fred F.