Re: Re:914 intercooler

Subject: Re: Re:914 intercooler
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:09:15
In rereading the archives too, the only concern was questioning 220
MPH top speed, impliedly due to only an intercooler.  No question re
some fuel efficiency, engine wear, and climb, but not cruise.  There
are intercooler "tech" papers all over the web.  Claims vary (mostly
auto enthusiasts but with access to dynamometers), but best I found
was (for 100HP engine) 1.5HP per 10F degrees reduction in induction
air temp.  Assuming 50F drop, the math works out to about 4 MPH at
100% throttle cruise, minus effect of add'l cooling drag.  Suspect
you get a bit more above the magic 16,000 ft., with controllable-
pitch prop, but altitudes much above that are not practical
unpressurized, except now and then for the fun of it!

I just read a cool (no pun!) way to look at it.  Engine efficiency
goes up with the spread between induction air temp and EGT: If you
ingest 1600F air, same as EGT, the engine would produce no power. So
reduce induction air from from 160F to 110F, and do the math, that's
only a 3% increase in power and fuel efficiency, not 7.5% per above.

Regards,
Fred F., A063