Re: What, Where and Can I

Subject: Re: What, Where and Can I
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:31:58
That cost sounds like it was "priced for aviation use."   Remote GPS
antenna have little amplifiers in them, which adds little to the
cost.  The only thing an "aviation" tear drop antenna does is permit
it to be mounted external to an aluminum airframe, and possibly meet
gov't specs for use especially under IFR.  Any GPS antenna should work
inside a composite (except carbon fiber) airframe, as long as the
voltage fed to them down the center wire of the coax is compatible
(probably is; low volts, negative ground).  Just keep it 24" or more
---From any other VHF antenna, and use RG-142 coax for coax runs > few
feet.

Regards,
Fred F., A063