Re: What, Where and Can I

Subject: Re: What, Where and Can I
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:33:28
Mike Parkin wrote:

> Could anyone recommend a suitable non-silicone polish that is
> available in the UK. I am planning to panel mount my Skymap 3C GPS.
> What is the best way to mount the antenna?  Does one use an extension
> with the supplied antenna and mount it in the fuselage or is another
> antenna required?Is the fuselage 'transparent' to the GPS satellite
> signals. regards,             MP  (G-JULZ No 312)

Mike,
   I attached the included antenna to the underside of the
top of the instrument panel. The instrument panel and
windshield (and fuselage) are transparent to the GPS
signals.  We have been flying for two months now with
no problems with the signal.
On another note, I do NOT advise upgrading the Skymap IIIC
to the unhanced software that does terrain mapping.
The mapping levels are rather coarse, and at higher
elevations, the colors used (dark brown and black)
are so dark that they blank out the rest of the
screen information, i.e. roads, rivers, etc., and there
is no way to turn off the feature or change the colors
without losing the rest of the moving map info.
On a recent trip over the Sierras the map went dark
while trying to negotiate a 9,900' pass with 13,000'
peaks either side, the screen was all black, when the
road info would have been most usefull at the time.
There were forest fires in the area and visibility
was rather poor.
I have since downgraded back to the standard
software, getting rid of the terrain mapping.

Terry Seaver
Pleasanton, CA
A135 / N135TD