Re: Trike Nose Leg Bungee Breaking.

Subject: Re: Trike Nose Leg Bungee Breaking.
From: Rob Housman <ROBHOUSMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:42:26
Now it's getting more interesting, and I've answered my own question.

The gear leg is 4130 rather than an aluminum alloy because the yield
strength of 4130 (80 ksi) is reached at a mere at 700 lb force (up) on the
nose wheel, and deflection at the nose wheel end of the leg for this force
is about 0.6 inch.  These values are based on the measured values of 1.25 in
diameter and 0.125 in wall thickness, for a 20 in long cantilever beam (the
gear leg) fixed at one end (which isn't literally true but this assumption
is good enough for now).  7075 would come close with yield strength of 73
ksi but it would deflect three times as much at the same load for the same
cross section.

So, if the leg will take a permanent set at not much more than 700 lb (and
fail at less than 1000 lb), how can the safety cable break without damage to
the gear leg?

Something isn't right here and I can't see what it is, but these
calculations say that it takes a lot more force on the nose wheel to break
the safety cable than it takes to bend (or break) the nose gear leg.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070