Re: Trike Nose Leg Bungee Breaking.

Subject: Re: Trike Nose Leg Bungee Breaking.
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:45:13
Very cogent analysis, Rob.  Maybe it would help that everything would
happen in a sequence.  Bending of the leg, breaking of bungee, partial
collapse of the frame's fat tubing where the cable hits, and then
finally the cable.  The final whack to the airframe, if a beefier
safety cable survives, is thus after energy has been dissipated.  Sort
of the way they engineer autos.

I agree on your final point, as also if everything lets go, slipper
clutch or no, the engine (gearbox integral with crankcase) could
easily become junk, especially prop strike on a hard surface rwy.
Airframe likely repairable, or so we hope....

Regards,
Fred F., A063