Re: Trike Nose Leg Bungee Breaking.

Subject: Re: Trike Nose Leg Bungee Breaking.
From: Rob Housman <ROBHOUSMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:08:55
My assumption was that there would be damage to the nose gear assembly or
its mounting structure and attach points before there was a catastrophic
failure that would allow a prop strike, and the stronger the cable the
greater the damage.  A simple fixed pitch prop with a clutch behind it to
protect a Rotax engine and gear box would probably be a less expensive fix
than if the landing gear frame were to be torn out of the tunnel.  On second
thought we better consider damage short of tearing the whole thing apart
because then not only do we get a prop strike but the nose gear is probably
going to be planted in the bottom of the engine.  Of course, a more
expensive prop changes the equation significantly.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070