Squirrely handling

Subject: Squirrely handling
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:06:52
We now have about 7 hours on our Monowheel
XS, and have found the roll out after landing to
be very challenging. The plane darts to the side
and once going that way, does not want to stop.
I have over 300 hours tail wheel time, mostly
in short coupled bi-planes that keep the feet
busy on the roll out, and this is by far the most
difficult plane I have flown (only on the roll out,
in every other respect the plane is very nice).
Several people have reported the monowheel
with XS tail wheel to be very easy to fly, Bob
Jacobsen and Tony K. among them. From that,
I believe there is something wrong with our
setup.
We have the intermediate rudder bell crank
mod, which, among other things, increases the
tail wheel rate/travel. Is there anyone out there
with this mod who would comment on their ground
handling, in particular the roll out following touch
down ? We have tried adjusting the tail wheel
spring tensions several times, with no significant
improvement.
Our outriggers are slightly shorter than recommended,
with both just touching the ground with full fuel and
no crew on board.

Terry Seaver
A135, N135TD