Re: Squirrely handling

Subject: Re: Squirrely handling
From: Henk Roelofs <henk@loginet.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:27:52
>We now have about 7 hours on our Monowheel
>XS, and have found the roll out after landing to
>be very challenging. The plane darts to the side
>and once going that way, does not want to stop.

Terry,
We achieved much improvement by increasing the tailwheel spring
tensions and making the outriggers longer. In our case by using
larger diameter outrigger wheels.
Also the touchdown speed seems to be important, high speed somehow
influences the behaviour later in the roll out. Tailwheel first with
a little bit of power seems to be best.
We're also planning to bring the CG further aft. This seems
contradictory but in comparison with another Europa which doesn't
have this problem our CG is more forward.

Regards,
Henk & Bart
Europa #264, PH-BGV
http://www.loginet.nl/europa/