Re: Peel Ply

Subject: Re: Peel Ply
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:15:30
ScramIt@aol.com wrote:

> A friend and I built a Cozy MkIV, and we put peel ply on every thing we did.
> My friend joking called it "the poor mans vacuum bag." He thinks it made
> finishing much easier and helped remove excess epoxy. I wouldn't know because
> I didn't get to finish any parts that weren't peel plied. I have part of a
> roll left over and unless someone on the list gives me a good reason not to,
> I'm going to peel ply the big lay-ups.
>
> Comments, ideas
> Thanks
> Steve
> A217

I recommend peel ply on all layups, using the
finer peel ply from Aircraft Spruce. We believe
the extra weight is trivial, and our weight and
balance seems to verify that assumption. We have
a fairly light engine (912S), light prop (Whirlwind),
and the battery in the back, as recommended by
the instructions. The balance came out right on,
indicating that the tail planes and rudder are not
overly heavy.
The lighter weight ply (1.7 oz) is much better
than the heavier stuff (2.7 oz). It tends to cling
better to the surface, going around corners
easier. Be sure to wet the peel ply surface out
with epoxy, just as if it were another ply of glass.
Putting it on dry can rob the underlying glass of
epoxy.

Terry Seaver
A135, N135TD
Mono wheel XS