RE: Headset recommendation?

Subject: RE: Headset recommendation?
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:19:28
Sorry about the weather - here (SoCal) the temperature did not get that low.

We, too, bought the kit while still doing our primary training.  With the
scheduled lessons every Sat & Sun the "shall we build or shall we fly"
question was answered easily.  Without the regular lessons we have more time
to build but currency suffers.  Short of winning the lottery there doesn't
seem to be an easy way to both fly a lot and build a lot.

---From one engineer to another, this is one time that technology (as opposed
to design) is probably the least important factor in finding an appropriate
product.  Having endured a few C clamp devices on my head I went shopping
(at AOPA Expo) for a new headset with comfort in mind.  I tried on just
about every headset on offer at the Expo and found only one manufacturer's
line that seemed to accommodate my head, Pilot.  Every other manufacturer
incorporates the same scheme of a two point attachment of the headband to
the earcups, a feature that restricts the movement of the earcups so that
there is always a mis-alignment of the earcups with the skull.  Pilot uses a
single ball joint at the center of each earcup for three degrees of
freedom - what a difference in comfort!  (Please, no comments about how
badly misshapen my skull must be)

Since it is difficult if not impossible to judge comfort with a short trial,
the only way to find a comfortable headset is to wear one for a couple of
hours.  Try to borrow a headset for trial before you buy, even if the only
time you can wear it is while building your Europa.

After you find something comfortable then worry about ANR, the audio quality
of the music from your on board CD player, etc.

You are on the right track about doing the wet work (layups) but when the
temperature rises you will find that the working time is reduced
significantly.

I have mounted a Whelen strobe/position light in each wing tip (still
debating how to do the fin, however).  If you would like, I can e-mail
details and pictures of the attachment scheme I used.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070