Re: Tailwheel spring/arm set up

Subject: Re: Tailwheel spring/arm set up
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:08:43
>  I bought the sternpost that Graham
>Singleton produces. It may be different from yours-not sure.

Near enough the same, actually.

>At any rate, you can install the top molding exactly where it will
>ultimately be mounted by
>using clecos. Cleco the sternpost and rudder in place. Once this is done,
>leave the sternpost attached to the bottom molding with
>the clecos and remove the top molding and do the big reinforcing lay-ups for
>the tail spring area.

I would Redux bond it into the bottom, then cleco the top back on for cure,
with everything jigged and straight edges on the rudder hinge flanges. I
used about 40 spring clips to hold everything neat and straight.Then you
can do the reinforcing layups in comfort with the lid off again.  When I
built GK Whip I finished all internal work before bonding the top on.  It's
important to support the bottom half well though, or it will distort under
its own weight. Not difficult to do and it made many awkward jobs much
easier. I have somewhat stiffer joints now, so I doubt if I could do it any
other way.

Graham