Re: Tailwheel spring/arm set up

Subject: Re: Tailwheel spring/arm set up
From: TroyMaynor@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:18:49
In a message dated 3/12/01 10:14:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
christoph.both@acadiau.ca writes:

<< Now, as most of us know, the original classic kit came without a
 sternpost, so where do I lay these required enforcement lay-ups up
 to? In my case I bought the EUROPA sternpost as an additional
 item but in my manual (XSTRIGEAR1998) it seems that the
 sternpost will be mounted long after the top has been glued on the
 bottom of the fuselage. How can I then lay-up the required glass in
 a closed structure? >>

Hi Chris,
I have a classic I am still working on. I bought the sternpost that Graham
Singleton produces. It may be different from yours-not sure. At any rate, you
can install the top molding exactly where it will ultimately be mounted by
using clecos. Cleco the sternpost and rudder in place. This is not a pleasant
experience but it will work out fine if you are careful not to trim too much
off too fast. What you are aiming for is establishing the final position of
everything without actually bonding anything yet.
Once this is done, leave the sternpost attached to the bottom molding with
the clecos and remove the top molding and do the big reinforcing lay-ups for
the tail spring area. Be sure the sternpost is far enough forward to get
plenty rudder movement but not so far to interfere with the trim drive slots.
Mine are practically even with front of the sternpost. On the vertical
dimension from the fuselage to the bottom of the spring, measure from the
point the spring is bolted to the fuselage not the aft tip of the fuselage as
I did. Hope this helps and that others add where I generalized.
Troy
120