Re: Inflight Variable Pitch Props

Subject: Re: Inflight Variable Pitch Props
From: Fergkyle <ve3lvo@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:34:34
Cheers,
            After shooting off my mouth about the 'step', I now find this
Linda person debunking my carefully-worded and authoritative outpourings.
Amongst other things, she draws a comparison between "we working stiffs" and
the olde pharts. I guess with only ten thousand hours, she can stop learning
and aging now.
        SECOND: In one section her magic page of learning says the legal
eagles at the engine shop won't let you run an engine beyond what they say -
and towards the end says the engineers know what they write so do what they
say. WHICH?
        THIRD: She admonishes us not to apply the procedures of one aircraft
to those of another, and then proceeds to apply the 'step' argument to the
sparest range of aircraft.
        FOURTH:  Who in Heaven's name could present themselves as professors
with a mere 10,000 hours? I know a guy with 25,000 hours in DC-3's!
(Admittedly over 52 years in Namibia and predecessors). Get some time in,
Linda.
        FIFTH:  Never fly 'oversquare' was perfectly valid in a number of
airforce Flying Training Schools, and what Linda heard was probly
fourth-hand spouts from those days. It applied then to the predominantly
round engines seeing 4-5 hours per working day at the hands of
indistructible teenagers. That was in the 40's and 50's.
        If I have to, I'll find the olde handebooks and quote, but in the
interim Linda, "Check your six".
happy Landings
Ferg A064