RE: Inflight Variable Pitch Props

Subject: RE: Inflight Variable Pitch Props
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:57:37
It might also have to do with the fact that the Airmaster, at that price is
a Constant Speed prop - not just an
in flight adjustable. The USD3950 includes has the hub, warp drive blades,
new spinner backplate, a new metal spinner ready to fit, tools, wiring loom
and the constant speed controller included in the package.

If you want to know how well it flies.... we did the 550nm run to the South
Island on the 912 cruising at 65% power, 120 knots IAS at 3000' and 10
litres an hour fuel burn. On the way home we formated with a Piper Tomahawk
for part of the way and had to cut back to 22% cruise at 5500 feet to avoid
overtaking it! The RV6's in the other (150knot+) formation started making
snide remarks that if we cut back any more in the cruise then we'd probably
land with more fuel than we took off with. Methinks that they were jealous
:-).

Kevin Pownall in Australia is now reporting a 65% power, 150 knot cruise at
8000' behind his 914 with the Airmaster fitted.

Tony

ps Guess who has just discovered that the fastest speed recorded in the FAI
NZ 'under 500kg takeoff weight' records category is an average point to
point of 145km/h :-) Time to smash a few speed records I think.