RE: Inflight Variable Pitch Props

Subject: RE: Inflight Variable Pitch Props
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:14:02

  Jerry, You are perfectly entitled to be controversial :-)

  Note the word 'true' in the following statement!

  >> When I won the navigation contest on Saturday I did the entire run at
75%
  >> power, 135knots true at 1000feet agl.

  UBD maxes out at 137kias, 65% cruise is 120kias though you can get her
onto the step a bit more if you are lucky and it'll creep up closer to
125kias.

  Our fancy (read damned expensive) data logging system on board gives us
TAS and for this run I used that as my primary speed reference. It is also
calibrated with the Rotax supplied power curve to show the actual power
setting for the engine. Unlike most aircraft we aren't having to guess what
the power setting is.

  My ground speed over the course backs the airspeed figures which, as I am
now informed, had I done this run solo it would have established a New
Zealand closed course record as the aircraft would have been under 500kg
takeoff weight.

  Tony