Re: Inflight Variable Pitch Props

Subject: Re: Inflight Variable Pitch Props
From: Jerry Davis <lts@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:13:16

I am going to be controversial ! I can't resist it.

I don't think Europas go as fast as some people say. Most Europa pilots
I know claim top speeds for a 912 Europa around 135 kts which is what I
have seen for myself and that's pretty fast for an 80 hp aircraft with
what has to be said is a very sensible landing speed. As you know I sell
the Arplast VP prop and I get some good feed back from my customers. To
have a 75% cruise speed of 135 kts there is an implication that the top
speed of said aircraft is 149 kts. That's just using a very simple
theory that aircraft speed follows a cube of the power. I know Kim Prout
has done lots of things to his A/C and he does achieve fantastic figures
but for most Europa owners I don't think you're going to get fantastic
cruise performance by fitting a VP prop (and that's from someone who
sells more VP props to UK Europas than anyone else currently). You will
get a fantastic improvement in take off performance because the full
power of the engine can be realised and you may choose to drop cruise
RPM by a marked amount but don't mistake RPM for power. If it takes 60
hp to drag a Europa along at given speed then that does not change.
You're not going to change tractive power by more than few % by fitting
different propellers. I have been selling props for almost 10 years and
the differences we see are usually around 3% to 5%. To increase the top
speed of a Europa from say 135 to 150 kts would take an improvement in
blade efficiency from say 0.75% to 100% that's an improvement of 33%
which just isn't going to happen unless your base propeller was a piece
of 4 x 2.

Furthermore - from my Rotax 912 manual 10 litres per hour equates to 33
hp or around 41% power. From a cruise speed of 120 kts that would imply
a top speed of 162 kts which I find hard to believe.

Below is a table of speed and power for a 149 kt A/C based on cube law.

      149 100%
      146 95%
      144 90%
      141 85%