Re: Battery Charging

Subject: Re: Battery Charging
From: Jim Naylor <jnaylor@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:31:16
I have fitted an auxiliary socket for this purpose. Best to fit it as close
as possible to the battery, and wire it direct to the battery using at least
the same size cable used for the starter motor supply. Our battery is in the
engine compartment, so I mounted the socket on top of the foot well right
next to the battery,. I made a small access door in the upper cowl on the
same lines as the ones used for oil and water checks.
It came in very useful last winter when I had to make some sub zero starts
on an ageing battery.
There are charging plug and sockets available, as used on electric fork lift
trucks, which are rated at 100+ amps, these are ideal to carry the starting
current required for a jump start. Look out for the smaller versions of
these though, some of them are far to big and heavy for the job.
I can't see any reason why the battery should be totally disconnected for
charging, especially as the master switch should effectively cut the
connection to the rest of the electric's.

Jim

> I have also used this same Gunson charger in automatic mode on my aircraft
> battery (normal lead acid)and found it to be quick and effective.
However,