RE: Battery Charging

Subject: RE: Battery Charging
From: Bob.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:20:27
Hi! Martin .
Happy new Year 2001.
Seems like yesterday we were wishing everyone Happy 2000 !
IMHO.  I've never specifically disconnected a car battery to charge it !
Mostly have just connected to the correct terminals and left it charging
overnight. Just the same when using a "jump" start battery. (Only needed to
disconnect battery's when welding, to protect the alternator.)

I have an isolator solenoid which disconnects the system on a master switch
so my system is probably different to yours. (Jabiru permanent magnet
alternator , also I have a field oil pressure switch to connect the
regulator to live when the engine runs which if all the system was left on
for a long period would burn out the magnet windings)
I would be surprised if your system was permanently live ? Otherwise the
battery would drop it's
charge over night  I think you need to examine your actual system to
establish what is factual.
Hope this gives you a few pointers.
Best regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG