RE: Battery Charging

Subject: RE: Battery Charging
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:16:50
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"Cliff Shaw" <flyinggpa@home.com>

Martin

Good you ask about trickle charging. I am now working on a charger for Bob;'
Europa, Beep Beep, that will do just that.

We picked up a 600ma plug in the wall 12 volt charger. I tested it with a
multimeter and it does charge around 1/2 amp when the battery is down. That
would be OK for a overnight "kick" but too much to leave on for weeks at a
time. I am installing a 30 ohm resister in series with the charge line to
the battery to reduce the charge rate to 50 or 60 ma.  I think this is much
better for long term use. The voltage on the battery with the trickle should
be not more than 14.2 volts. I will be happier with 13.8 volts. It voltage
depends on the battery and the temperature.

I hope this helps. Use this info with your desecration, it comes from my
experience, not an engineer degree.

Have fun
Cliff Shaw