Re: Ailerons - URGENT

Subject: Re: Ailerons - URGENT
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:18:26
Forwarded from the bounce bin.  Message is from
"Kenneth S. Whiteley" <kenwhit@kenwhit.demon.co.uk>

In message <000401c071c1$e493eb60$f4fecbc1@tinypc>, Keith Tallent
<ktallent@avnet.co.uk> writes
>Just finished my first aileron layup everything went well...
>went to weigh them down in the jigs but then had second thoughts on the best
>way to do this!
>I was just going to lay a sheet of plastic over the whole lot and put some
>large books on it but then I panicked about the plastic affecting the layup
>quality...

Don't lay polyethylene sheeting directly onto a lay-up. It will cause
resin to be sucked up through the glass-cloth to take up the volume
contraction of the curing resin, leaving voids underneath the glass.
Ideally don't put anything on top of the lay-up, but if you must, use
peel ply. You can use polyethylene sheeting on top of the peel-ply.
Ken Whiteley   (19)