Re: Puzzled by Epoxy

Subject: Re: Puzzled by Epoxy
From: JohnJMoran@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:00:30

<<  Which epoxy is used for attaching the rivets
 to the rudder and to the trim tabs?  If not the 'rapid epoxy', then why
 does it say to use the rapid type when attaching the trim tabs to the
 tail?   >>

Initially, I too thought the choice of which epoxy to use for flox in bedding
the hinges was arbitrary, so I chose to use Aeropoxy since it gave a longer
working time than the 5 minute epoxy.  This turned out to be a mistake -- the
Aeropoxy is relatively thin and as the rivets were installed the flox exuded
pure epoxy which ran into the hinges. To recover, once the epoxy began to set
up I added a drop of oil onto the hinge pin and then worked the affected
hinges back and forth every hour or so for several hours.

The 5 minute epoxy is much thicker so as the flox is compressed it doesn't
exude a liquid which can enter the hinges along the pins and lock them
permanently.

John  A044