RE: Puzzled by Epoxy

Subject: RE: Puzzled by Epoxy
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 19:24:38
Jeff:

Epoxy is Aeropoxy. Flox is is always the Aeropoxy mixed with cotton (at
least in my plane) Redux is for the bonding of structural mechanical parts;
Fuselages, wing lids, etc.  The five minute epoxy is typically used for
odds and ends where a quick rapid cure is desired. I believe it is called
out in all instances.It isn't a big deal not in any structural apps. They
do not get into all the details later on in the manual as the assumption is
that you will pick up the routine.  You may want to pick up a Rutan book
and do a couple of the small little one day hands on projects detailed
therin. About a year ago in Sport Aviation there were several consecutive
articles by Ron Alexander on the details in using epoxy and fiberglass.
The Europa doesn't have anything really special, it is pretty routine. Read
some other reference material and do some other hands on work in addition
to the Europa chock. The point is to teach your hands the routine with the
material and get a feel on how it works. The Aero Poxy gets drop shipped
---From the manufacturer to your door step. It shouldn't hold you up as you
should be spending a good deal of time inventorying your goods and putting
all the hardware and pieces in little drawers and cabinets and shelves with
part numbers marked on the outside so you can concentrate on building and
not looking for parts 2 years later that you thought were put somewhere. I
did  every one of my parts except for a small piece of additional sheet.
"I'll just lay this right in the pantry behind where I keep the epoxy so
I'll know where its at". Well after tearing the house apart and ordering a
replacement part I found it about 2 minutes after the new part arrived.

Have fun building

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ