Oil pump suction

Subject: Oil pump suction
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 19:54:47
We have recently run the fuel and oil flow checks required for commissioning
our new 912S, and found a problem with the depression at the oil pump inlet.
The maximum specified value is 4.4 inches at full throttle, but we get about
5 inches at 2500rpm, and 11 inches with the throttle open.  We have checked
the oil pickup from the reservoir, and found no restrictions, so all that
remains in the flow path to the pump inlet is the oil cooler and two hoses.
Oil pressure and temperature are both normal at all times, so whatever
restriction may be present is not enough to decrease the flow of oil to the
engine.  Has anyone experienced a similar problem with the XS oil cooler?
Any suggestions?  If we knew how much flow we should expect for a given
pressure differential between the reservoir and the pump inlet, we might
have a better chance of finding the obstruction.

Dave DeFord, A135