Re: SuperFil vs. Expancell...

Subject: Re: SuperFil vs. Expancell...
From: Europa Aircraft <europa@gate.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:58:35
For my two cents guys,
The only way you can get expancel to sand "way easier" is to mix it resin
rich which in turn spreads easy, sands easy, is more dent resistant, and is
much heavier than Superfill. Cure times are based mainly on the epoxy and
not the additives we add to it. Most epoxies will not cure below 65 degrees
F. A little heat applied with a hair dryer will assist in spreadability
greatly with either product. You can do thicker lay-ups with Superfill but
you need to put a layer of glass every 1/8 in. for reinforcement. Not a bad
idea with ANY filler actually. With that all said, both products work well,
although my experience has been for second or third applications, Superfill
leaves a better "edge".What  I mean is it doesn't try to soak into the first
layer of filler leaving you with a hard edge around the application. I still
do all of my primary filling with expancel and top it with Superfill.
Nuff said.

      Jim Thursby