RE: Digital scale and level

Subject: RE: Digital scale and level
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:49:14
Andrew:

I have had much better luck with a mechanical Ohaus mechanical 700 series
triple beam balance as apposed to a digital scale. The balance is good for
slightly over 2 and a half kilograms total. You don't wind up chasing
numbers around also, some digital scales lag in updating the display. With
the triple beam you measure out your resin multiply by 27 and divide by 100
add that value to your resin number and move the weights to that number.
You then have a nice analog needle to watch as it approaches and centers on
its mark. It is more intuitive than chasing numbers and being mechanical it
at least offered me a good feeling that is working right and in a linear
fashion. This is something I don't have a good feel for when watching
numbers oscillate on a screen.  These balances are pretty easy to come by.
They  had them  in science class when I was in high school, and when I was
in the Air Force all the pot heads heads in the barracks had them. Just
head to your local doper supply house and they  should be able to fix you
right up. I got mine at ENCO in the US (tool supply house) for about $125.

I have found that the digital level was a very handy device to check the
washout on the flight control surfaces, also travel on the ailerons and
flaps etc. I expect it to be very handy when setting wing incidence. I have
already gotten my $100 worth out of it. At this point I am finishing my
last wing.

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa AZ