Re: Bob Archer - an endorsement

Subject: Re: Bob Archer - an endorsement
From: Dave DeFord <davedeford@home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:53:48
Entirely correct, Fred.  Common sources of very large losses like these are
bad connections, bad connectors, and bad coax.  Lossy materials (i.e., poor
electrical conductors, like carbon fiber) in the vicinity of the antenna can
also ruin signal strength.  VSWR doesn't always show problems of loss, as in
the case of the 50 Ohm resistor, which has a 1:1 VSWR, but doesn't radiate a
bit.

The other common problem is pattern distortion, in which the signal is weak
only in specific directions.  This is caused by large or resonant (i.e.,
multiples of the length of the antenna) conductors nearby, such as a
vertically-oriented ELT antenna.  The antenna's own feedline is often to
blame.  If I can't run the coax perpendicular to the antenna for at least
the length of the antenna, I put an extra ferrite choke (like the one
installed at the end of the coax) on the cable, located half the length of
the antenna from the other one.

Performance of both antennas should be similar when properly installed, so
the main reason to choose one over the other is ease of mounting in the
desired location.

Dave DeFord
A135