Re: Re: Bob Archer - an endorsement

Subject: Re: Re: Bob Archer - an endorsement
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:00:58
MJKTuck@cs.com wrote:

> I concur with Tony about the Bob Archer antenna with one exception.
>
> I find a blank (or rather reduced reception - down to 5 miles or so) area
> (both transmit and receive) caused by the engine. So if pointing toward an
> airfield (or the ATIS I used to determine this) and trying to talk to tower,
> reception/transmission is poor.

Yep.  My antenna designer buddy says that the engine can distort the
pattern quite a bit, depending upon where the antenna is mounted.

> As I have much better reception with my ICOM I wonder if simply having an
> ICOM style 6 inch whip antenna sticking out from the bottom of the fuselage
> might cure the problem with a suitable ground plane.

I've measured VSWR on the rubber duck on my Narco handheld.  They're
awful!  You might have only slightly more drag from a bent metal whip
intended for bottom mount, which usually is less affected by the
engine.

Regards,
Fred F., A063