Re: Things that go bump in the flight/Carb ice?

Subject: Re: Things that go bump in the flight/Carb ice?
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:50:41
Rob. I think you may have it!

I do have a rebated wing; viz the root fairing butts into the fuselage
profile. I can see Andy Drapers suggestion
that the butt of the fairing could clip out with a loud noise under a heavy
turbulence loading, makes sense. Perhaps once out it stays there until you
land and release the wing loading. Hence no repeat bangs. I will check for
signs.

The second choice to me is an outrigger banging on it's stop in turbulence.

The third choice for me is carb icing. I would really like to find out a bit
more about the symptoms of carb icing on a 912or 912s before forming any
opinions. Preferably through other peoples experience. I really did think
that it was not a problem for us Europa folk, after all the kit is
enthusiastically sold as not requiring such an old fashioned device. Yet here
we have company people telling us that you do need a heater, and in Florida
of all places. Bob reported it and Jim Thursby has just confirmed it, thanks
fellers.

I wonder if anyone who has experience it could provide a little more detail.
I can imagine the awful emotions of sputtering over the channel. But what
does happen? Does the engine give the occasional bang to herald icing. or
does it splutter on?
Has anyone experienced a Rotax equipped Europa cutting out altogether? What
engine settings make it more prevalent? Can you change settings to stop it?

My engine does run cool, (75*c for oil and water) Does this make BYSA more
vulnerable? Should I Blank off a little in the winter to raise these temps?

Having experienced one engine failure in my life, I do not wish to push my
luck a second time. Up until this subject correspondence I was very happy to
confirm that my little lady would fly in the worst conditions without a sign
of carb icing. A week ago I was amused by the fact Kissimmee airfield in
Florida was closed VM because the three mile marker was not absolutely clear
in light mist at 84*F  We would not have hesitated to get off the ground back
in the UK. I was really set back to find that the Europa cant handle those
conditions without icing. It really worries me. It makes it sound that we
would be foolish to take our ships up in the winter here until we have
converted to carb heaters.

Happy landigs....Bryan Allsop