RE: Things that go bump in the flight

Subject: RE: Things that go bump in the flight
From: Robert Berube <bberube@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:00:16
Bryan,
Several months ago while still with Europa US our pilot Jim Thursby was
flying back from a show with Michele when they experienced a bump like
someone kicking the bottom of the plane.  The first bump certainly caught
there attention but the second one a few moments later was cause for
concern.  Landing at the nearest airport was immediate decision.  No visible
bird strikes ar any other telltale signs of possible exterior causes.  The
cowling was removed with engine inspection not revealing anything.  The
carbs were checked with moisture visible in one of the car intakes.  They
had just passed through a frontal system with some climatic changes which
apparently caused some icing on one of the carbs.  Even with the high temps
that we have in Florida carb icing is not an uncommon occurance.  It sounds
like you may have experienced the same (bump) so to speak.  We immediately
installed the Sky Drive carb heat system and never had another occurance.
Bob Berube A166