Things that go bump in the flight

Subject: Things that go bump in the flight
From: BRYNALL@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:03:05
Today I had good reason to take BYSA out for a two hour trip through rain and
low cloud on a cold miserable November day. Those of us in the UK will know
that the floods have brought conventional traffic to a stop in this country,
so Europing was the best way to collect essential materials quickly. (all
genuine VMC though).

On one occasion I noticed an obvious bump which sounded like someone kicking
the back of a door. I have experienced the same sound at odd rough moments
before, but I have never found anything wrong with the aeroplane. Has any one
else experienced it, or should I pre-flight the rear of the plane for the odd
missing child?

Having said that, the Rotax hummed without a falter despite being challenged
to the limit to ice up. If I had been flying any other plane the carb heat
would have been out most of the way. I now have confidence in not needing one.

finally! The sight of those floods really surprised me. The River Trent
cannot be seen. Instead there is an enormous wide lake which stretches for
miles. I hope that none of you live there. If you do, you certainly have my
sympathy.

Best Regards .......Bryan Allsop