Europa filters

Subject: Europa filters
From: Kevin Pownall <kevpow@iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 00:28:02
To Europa builders

For those not familiar with this subject I had a engine failure with my new
xs 914 and asked for others with similar problems to contact me so I could
,hopefully ,avoid a repetition.

I have been delighted with the responses and reached some conclusions which
are ,I may say ,completely my own.

There is no doubt that there is often a problem of Europa engines cutting
out in the early hours of flying.

There is uncertainty as to the exact cause and most people have gone to a
bigger filter to obviate the engine troubles without actually solving
exactly what causes the problem.

The puralator filters seem to be a contributor as they block easily due to
the small filter area and in some cases seem to be prone to air leaks due to
poor seals at the ends.

The general consensus is that the problem is due to dust from the building
process sticking to the inside of the tank electrostatically.  Despite
washing and vaccuming some remains and after flying moves to the filter.

The most elucidating e-mail came from Frank Connell of Geelong Australia.

Frank had engine problems.. He cut an inspection hole in the top of the tank
,found goo inside and wiped it all out.  Despite flying on only one filter
he has had no more dirty filters or engine problems.
He suggests that the tank should have an inspection hole as a matter of course.
His experience is most illuminating as he actually found the particles in
the tank and needed to wipe them off to solve the problem.

My thanks again to all  who contributed in such a constructive manner.  I
hope this discussion may be useful to all of the Europa confraternity

Kind Regards to all     Kevin Pownall