Re: Re: Europa filters

Subject: Re: Re: Europa filters
From: ami mcfadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 00:26:18
The glass-sleeved Purolator has a filter area of about 1 3/4 sq in. The
larger and similarly styled K&N billet filter (and others like it) has an
area of about 4 in sq. The Flo-Ezy filter (advertised in Aircraft Spruce)
claims to have an area of 20 in sq (although by measurement I could only
make it to 10 sq in) and is available in a variety of mesh sizes.A
Gascolator is about 2 1/2sq in, although as Ron S points out its principal
is abit different.

Is the Purolator really a sensible size? especially on a fuel system with a
return-line.
 I don`t think mesh size has much to do with it; if it were too coarse then
the rubbish would end up blocking something in the carbs. instead.

In a similar light, are we sure that the "air" getting into the fuel system
is not cavitation (as a consequence of large pumping capacity, fuel return
lines and various restrictions on the suction side (tank outlets, sharply
bent hoses, valves and filters)).

Duncan McFadyean