Re: Re: Europa filters

Subject: Re: Re: Europa filters
From: Grahamclk@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 05:10:07
fillinger@ameritech.net writes:

<< I have spoken to three other builders [ two here in Australia ] who have
had
 > bad experiences with engine starvation. Not every one has had a forced
 > landing but they are 'Spooked' by this problem.
 >  >>

I am surprised that a report I wrote in here in UK in April 1998 didn't get
wider circulation. It was copied to Europa, PFA, Rotax, and the Safety
Officer. I had four "starves" in  a row. The first was half an hour into the
flight and entailed a forced landing out, luckily without damage, and a tow
back. The second two were during tests over the airfield after extensive
filter cleaning.  Still not sure of the cause, two filters were fitted, the
second a car filter.  Sure enough well into the flight it happened again and
switching over  cured it.

This time I ran extensive ground tests with clear pipes to discover the
original filter was allowing an almost invisible stream of bubbles to
accumulate into a extending bubble near the mechanical pump which eventually
"gasped".  A true time bomb phenomenon made more likely by the design of the
filter ends which can be assembled in a non-concentric manner. Fuel doesn't
leak out as there is no pressure but air gets sucked in when it runs.

The second filter fitted ( both now !) was car type, larger, thrown away at
overhaul, and accepted by our PFA..

Graham Clarke G-EMIN