Re: tailplane angle

Subject: Re: tailplane angle
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:10:02
CHUCK RHOADS wrote:

> I am working on my tailplane mass balance and control
> stop.  The manual states that to set up the mass
> balance correctly the angle of the tailplane is set at
> 12 deg up.  I have measured my total deflection of the
> tailplane and I just have 16 degrees total.  The
> linkage hits in the torque tube.  Do I have a MAJOR
> problem?  So far I have not seen what the angles
> should be for up deflection and down deflection. How
> do I divide my total of 16 degrees?

My manual says 12 up, 4 down.  You must be clear of the torque tube,
so if you have to clip the spec a tiny bit, I think it's safer to
short the down elevator (full down elevator not needed for any normal
flight maneuver).  But do make a note to check this in flight testing,
with max aft loading.

Regards,
Fred F., A063