Re: [gascolators and drains...]

Subject: Re: [gascolators and drains...]
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:38:01
Theories: In the old days, people in winter climates often added
"drygas."  But maybe the prime source of water then was leaking
underground storage tanks, all now replaced in the U.S.  Auto fuel
tanks now do not vent directly to outside air, but through the
charcoal canister, which is purged by manifold vacuum on startup.
It's possible the phenomenon isn't really a hazard in aircraft.  Of
44,000+ NTSB reports online, only 2 contained any form of the word
"condense" in reference to the fuel tank.  One quoted the A/C
operating handbook, and another FAA advice, both referring to the
"possibility" of such moisture condensation.  But in neither case did
the NTSB say the water contamination was likely from that source.
That's 0/44,000, and you'll get 5 hits looking for "mice" or "mouse"
as a contributing factor in the accident.

The only real distinction I see is the location of the filler caps.

Regards,
Fred F., A063, N3EU