Re: [gascolators and drains...]

Subject: Re: [gascolators and drains...]
From: Chris Beck <EuropaChris@netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:08:32
This always has me wondering.  Why don't our automobiles have gascolators and
more trouble with water in the fuel?  I surely don't drain the tank of my
Saturn before every commute to work, and change the fuel filter every 30,000
miles.  In 127,000 miles, I've never had so much as a burp to to a fuel
problem, and I regularly run the tank to empty before filling up.  Why are
aircraft so susceptible to water problems?

Chris
A159

Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk> wrote:

> 99% of water in fuel comes from repeated temperature cycling of the air
> space above the fuel level over night (together with refuelling to
> displace the dryer air) - assuming things like cap seals are in good
> order - and the only way to combat this is to keep the tanks topped. In
> the past, I've found this to be unsatisfactory as occasionally some
> *&
%$"  nicked all my fuel (in a Luscombe, in this case) - after the