Re: [gascolators and drains...]

Subject: Re: [gascolators and drains...]
From: Steve & Eileen Genotte <gopack@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:08:39

Chris Beck wrote:

> This always has me wondering.  Why don't our automobiles have gascolators and
> more trouble with water in the fuel?
snip

Perhaps because of how often we drive our cars?  Mine rarely sits for
more than 10 hours between drives and I fill the tank with about 12 U.S.
gallons of gas every 8-10 days.  Any water that does have a chance to
collect will be slight and can be run out without much notice.  Maybe a
shuddering start, or a stall at a stop light, and you're off.

Most private aircraft will go a lot longer than 10 hours between
flights, allowing for a greater buildup of water, and it's no one's idea
of a good time to take off with less than optimum horsepower while the
fuel system delivers some water with the gas.  And the consequences of
too much water...

Steve G.